My Brother the Devil
Director: Sally El Hosaini
Screenwriters: Sally El Hosaini
- 2012 Sundance Institute and Doris Duke Foundation for Islamic Art Grant
- 2012 Sundance Film Festival
- 2011 Sundance Institute and Doris Duke Foundation for Islamic Art Grant
- 2010 Sundance Institute and Doris Duke Foundation for Islamic Art Grant
- 2009 Creative Producing Summit
- 2009 Directors Lab
- 2009 January Screenwriters Lab
- 2009 June Screenwriters Lab
- 2008 Rawi Middle East Screenwriters Lab in Jordan
Fourteen-year-old Mo is a lonely, sensitive boy whose hunger for the rant and banter of buddies makes him prone to tread dangerous territories. He idolizes his handsome older brother, Rashid, a charismatic, well-respected member of a local gang, whose drug dealing enables “Rash” to provide for his family. Aching to be seen as a tough guy himself, Mo takes a job that unlocks a fateful turn of events and forces the brothers to confront their inner demons. It turns out that hate is easy. It is love and understanding that take real courage.
Sally El Hosaini proves herself a bold and brilliant new directorial talent with this gorgeous and masterful debut. Rich in beauty, humility, and authenticity, My Brother the Devil is an urban tale that burns with vision and passion—a gem bound to find a place of distinction.
- Section: World Cinema Dramatic Competition
- Film Type: International Narrative Feature Films
- Country: United Kingdom
- Run Time: 111 min.